I finished what I was working on last night while watching Firefly (love that show). I absolutely love working in front of a TV series, but only ones I’ve seen already. My eyesight is pretty poor, and because I’m shortsighted the best way for me to work is without any correction at all. Not only is it just more comfortable, it also puts less strain on your eyes because close work is kind of the ‘natural focus’ area. It would be a very different story if I were longsighted, though according to my Auntie it’s only a matter of time before I’ll need bifocals or a lens replacement or some other terrifying thing. But anyway, putting on something I’ve already seen before means I can go through it again, but not worry about having to look up from my work to see something (because I can’t, because I’m blind).
Today I’ll probably start working on designing a counted-stitch version. I have some nice light-lime-green linen that I got in Malaysia a couple years ago that I’ll use as my base fabric. Updates shortly!
Have continued with my ginkgo leaf. Will continue to work after posting, but wanted to save the finished show for when there’s sunlight about. Ain’t no better light than sunlight!
Have already begun thinking ahead, because I’ve come across a couple issues:
First in a (hopefully) ongoing series of tips and tricks I have picked up regarding embroidery, lace-making, crochet, or anything else I happen to be doing/making. For my benefit as much as yours.
Keep your threads short! Never cut thread longer than the distance between the tip of your fingers and your elbow. There are several reasons for this:
Beginning and ending thread can be a pain, but if you do it enough it becomes something you don’t really think about, and you get better at it, too! Overall though, the quality of your work will thank you. Happy making!
Highlights of 2012:
Hopes/upcoming for 2013:
So I finished my first ginkgo leaf prototype today! Here’s how it happened:
So what I’ll be thinking about when I go into phase 2:
Man oh man… So this is what the leaf looked like this morning. Doesn’t it smack of nice, easy going work, especially in the soft dappled sunlight?
The blog is called Seen Your Video, which claims to be “your essential guide to cool music videos.” Have to admit, am pretty excited!
Now that I’ve seriously caught the stop motion bug, have spent the last few days reading up on equipment, tricks, effects, puppets, EVERYTHING. I know I definitely want to start incorporating more complex elements into my animations, starting with a multiplane camera. But 3D puppets are calling to me, I know it. I even know what materials I will use (eventually) – needle felted over wire armatures. AAaaahh so cool! Anyway, we’re getting there. Slowly but surely. First we need to get me some CAPITAL. Anyone know any bands who want a video done, send ’em my way! 🙂
You know something’s right when facial recognition kicks in when taking a photo. Ha.
Sort of cheating, as I’ve neglected the blog and finished the animation. Oh well! At least we have to wait no longer.
Layering of the bits, pre-glueing.
Getting put together.
The making of World A (snowscape).
THE FINAL PIECE:
So Gabby had said a couple months earlier that they were playing a special holiday show, and they would love to have the video ready to screen by then. Long story short, combining my awful tendency to need deadline pressure (like a junkie) and the fact that I needed to use my alma mater’s animation studio equipment (that closed shop on the 15th of December), I managed to shoot this puppy over the course of 30 hours in a week, while working around my two jobs. I was a MESS. But it felt SO, SO GOOD. 🙂
Getting screened at The Lost Church in SF. So huge! 🙂
Another colouring for set. I’ve started developing a callous on my thumb, so after a few minutes colouring becomes painful! Just my luck..
Have started designing my puppets. I’ve been having images of 19th Century Safari women bobbing around in my head recently (the kind that wore PANTS), so I thought my character would be loosely based on my head-image, but updated a little bit. I think khaki will contrast nicely with the snowscape, and will have her barefoot to add to the sense of confusion and not-belonging.
This is what she looks like with all her parts separated for jointing. I’ll be reinforcing the joints with tape, and using brads. Also some news – she’ll have a PRAYING MANTIS HEAD WAAAAAAAAH so cool.
Today at the gallery I crocheted and attached these two square doilies to my cardigan as pockets (WHY ARE THINGS STILL MADE WITHOUT POCKETS???).
The camera makes the pockets look a lot brighter than they are. Think a duller mauve. I mixed it with a lilac lace weight yarn I had, but it ran out three quarters of the way through the second square. Not too noticeable though, I think! Might do this with a couple other pocketless cardis I’ve got, and will use a lighter weight yarn.
Finished colouring in the blue pattern:
Also preparing to start working on a show that’ll be at Four Barrel in San Francisco in February 2013. My first thought was to take the burlap coffee sacks and make lace pieces out of them. This would be a nice time to experiment and try dyeing, something I’ve been meaning to do for a while now. I absolutely adore the colour you get from red cabbages. This requires a huge amount of new supplies, so we’ll see when I actually get started.